Ceph Upstream Documenter Opportunity
While the Ceph community continues to grow and the software improves, an essential part of our success will be a focus on improving our documentation.
We're excited to announce a new contract opportunity that would be funded by the Ceph Foundation to help with this initiative. Below is the contract description.
Deliverables and Responsibilities:
- Create, revise, and maintain the upstream user documentation for the Ceph community (http://docs.ceph.com/)
- Develop and publish required content identified through collaboration with developers, downstream writers, and users in the community.
- Publish improved on-boarding documentation for new contributors.
- Initial contract will cover a six (6) month period.
- Subsequent renewal and/or maintenance contracts will be considered as the initial contract nears completion.
- Experience in writing documentation for technical software.
- Highly technical or computer literate – coding skills aren’t required, but an understanding of storage software, RESTful APIs, JSON, as well as a conceptual understanding of storage and the people who use it are a must.
- Experience with structured documentation models like reStructuredText, asciidoc, or Markdown.
- Experience with topic-based or modular documentation.
- Excellent written English skills.
- Experience and understanding of Git or other version control systems.
- Experience using ticketing systems such as Redmine.
- Basic knowledge of Linux, Unix-like systems, web technologies, and data storage systems.
- Specific familiarity with Ceph, especially operating Ceph storage clusters.
- An understanding of distributed systems.
- An understanding of cloud computing systems, preferably OpenStack.
- Familiarity and understanding of automated build pipelines (for producing documentation).
- Familiarity with deployment or configuration tools such as Ansible, Puppet, or Chef.
Specific familiarity with Ceph is not a requirement, but is a definite plus! This is a great way to expand your knowledge of Ceph and to get involved with the user and developer communities.
This is a contract opportunity only and not an offer of employment. Any engagement or use of subcontractors must be approved in writing.
If you are interested, please send a resume and proposal (preferably including a price/quote) to [email@example.com](mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org).