Ceph Community Newsletter, Feb 2018 edition
Hey Cephers! We are starting this new section on Ceph website to talk about the project highlights on a monthly newsletter. We hope you enjoy it!
Project updates ¶
- The SUSE OpenAttic team is porting their management dashboard upstream into ceph-mgr, where it will replace the current 'dashboard' module and be expanded to include greater management functionality.
- Rook v0.7 was released with a new container image based on upstream Ceph. Rook is an operator for managing Ceph clusters in kubernetes.
- ceph-volume now has full support for both bluestore and filestore, with and without encryption. ceph-disk will be deprecated for mimic. The latest ceph-volume has been backported to Luminous in v12.2.3.
- Cephalocon conference program was finally published, thanks a lot to everyone which submitted proposals!
- At the moment we are working on a brand new survey for Ceph users and we will be posting it soon! Stay tuned!
Ceph Planet ¶
Project Meetings ¶
The following project meetings happened in February, the video recordings have been uploaded to Ceph YouTube channel.
- Ceph Developers Montly (Feb 07)
- Ceph Performance Weekly (Feb 01)
- Ceph Performance Weekly (Feb 08)
- Ceph Performance Weekly (Feb 15)
- Ceph Performance Weekly (Feb 22)
linux.conf.au 2018 ¶
Sage Weil went to LCA in Sydney and presented the talk "Making distributed storage easy: usability in Ceph Luminous and beyond" about the current status of Ceph as well the future plans for the project.
Orit Wasserman, Greg Farnum and Leo Vaz attended to DevConf in Brno, Czechia. Orit presented the talk "Everything you wanted to know about object storage", Greg talked about "Programming your Storage with Ceph". Besides the talks we also had the "Cephers at DevConf" meetup which was attended by 10 people.
- Ceph management with openATTIC, by Kai Wagner
- Ceph & ELK: Use the power of the ELK stack to know more about your Ceph Cluster! by Abhishek Lekshmanan and Denis Kondratenko
- CephFS Gateways: Distributed Filesystem Access via NFS and Samba, by David Disseldorp and Supriti Singh
- How to backup Ceph at scale, by Bartłomiej Święcki
We also had a talk presented by John Spray at the Virtualization and IaaS DevRoom called "Distributed File Storage in Multi-Tenant Clouds using CephFS".
Finally, we shared a table with our friends from Gluster project at FOSDEM's booth area and we distributed a lot of cool swag and stickers!
Ceph Day Germany ¶
Deutsche Telekom AG hosted the Ceph Day Germany in Darmstadt. The event was attended by over 150 people from Europe Ceph Community and the video recordings for the 14 talks presented have been published on Ceph's YouTube channel. Special thanks to Danny Al-Gaaf for all his help to organize the event and also for recording the presentations.